[llvm-dev] [docs] Updating the sphinx build bots

Jordan Rupprecht via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 13 11:16:46 PDT 2019

(+cc gribozavr, maintainer of gribozavr3 buildslave)

I played around with this yesterday and today (I had to head out before I
could reply on D63211).

The recommonmark version is what matters most, but the Sphinx version isn't
completely irrelevant. For instance, the current way we install the
recommonmark module is deprecated in >1.8 and removed in 3.0 (trunk, seems
to be unreleased): http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/markdown.html.
However, when I change registration that way, I get errors that "extension
'recommonmark' has no setup() function".

(This is tangential to the original problem, but I note it because if you
pull Sphinx from trunk and try to build llvm docs, it will not work because
of this. If possible, we should try to deal with it now so we only have to
reconfigure buildbots once)

My suggested approach (no buildbot breakages):
- Change broken links between md<->rst files to plain html links (annoying,
but temporary)
- Updated recommonmark on buildbots to 0.5.0 (presumably it's at <= 0.4.0
on build bots, but I can't find a way to verify this)
- Change html links back to normal markdown syntax
- Update Sphinx to >1.8 (and < 3.0) (possibly waiting until it hits
whatever stable repo the buildbot installs from)
- Switch the registration method of recommonmark in conf.py to the
non-deprecated way
- Upgrading to Sphinx >= 3.0 will not be a problem now