[llvm-dev] [docs] Updating the sphinx build bots

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 13 06:18:09 PDT 2019

Hi,

TL;DR - We should update the bot(s) responsible for building the LLVM
documentation so that they use recommonmark 0.5.0, and apply
https://reviews.llvm.org/D63211.

Full context:

I recently started trying to build the sphinx docs. However, a change by
Jordan (r363100) resulted in me no longer being able to build them, even
though the build bots were green and he could build them himself. After
some digging, it looks like it's an issue with the latest version of the
recommonmark python module. I verified that I don't see the issue with
v0.4.0, but do with v0.5.0. The sphinx version doesn't seem to make any
difference.

I could downgrade my module version (and have temporarily done so).
However, that leads to another issue: the links to llvm-symbolizer's page
in https://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-addr2line.html are broken when
building with 0.4.0. This can be fixed by changing the markdown doc to
explicitly specify ".html" in the link, but this precise change is what
breaks 0.5.0 (which otherwise produces working links in the llvm-addr2line
doc). I think we should update the build bots version of recommonmark.
Since this would cause the build to break, we should simultaneously (or
more exactly slightly before) apply the patch in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D63211, which fixes the warning that I am seeing
with 0.5.0.

I've included a couple of people I know to be involved with either the
website or the build bots. Sorry if it's misdirected!

Thoughts?

James