[llvm-dev] [RFC][SCEV] Behavior of AddRec in CompareSCEVComplexity

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 12 11:34:03 PDT 2019

The SCEVAA issue has come up before; see https://reviews.llvm.org/D41689 .  I didn’t really continue pursuing it because SCEVAA is off by default… and the discussion there concluded it’s likely not actually a bug in SCEVAA.  Instead, -aa-eval and -basicaa shouldn’t be making those queries.

I think it doesn’t make sense to create a SCEV expression where the components don’t have a dominance relationship.  It would be the same as constructing an “Instruction” where the definitions of the operands don’t dominate the instruction; it doesn’t have any meaning given the definition of SSA form.

If you do try to pursue changing CompareSCEVComplexity, it’s more complicated than this discussion indicates.  It’s used as a sort comparator, so it needs to be a strict weak ordering, so you’d need a strict ordering for domtree nodes.  That’s possible (using getDFSNumIn() or something like that), but I’m not sure how that interacts with domtree updates; I don’t think domtree updates keep the children in a consistent order.

-Eli