[llvm-dev] [RFC][SCEV] Behavior of AddRec in CompareSCEVComplexity

Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 12 10:53:17 PDT 2019

Hi,

Thanks for the input. In my ptr_test.O1.ll, the two loops should fall into
the last case due to loop rotations. And I think we should handle that case.
I propose to check the dominance relation between loop predecessor blocks
of the two loops if there is no dominance relation between their loop
headers just like case three. The only thing I'm not pretty sure is that is
there guarantee to exist dominance relation on their loop predecessor
blocks. That is, either LPred dominates RPred or RPred dominate LPred?

B.R.
- Min

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I understand CompareSCEVComplexity  correctly, we just need some
> deterministic order, not that important which one. We have three
> cases:
>
> 1. LHead dominates RHead
> 2. RHead dominates LHead
> 3. There is no dominance relationship between the loops
>
> LHead dominating RHead can either mean that R is nested inside L, or
> the entire loop of L dominated R. From ptr_test.c that latter seems
> the case, but LoopRotation might change this relation.
>
> For the third case, we might just find another tie breaker rule, such
> as a NumOps comparison afterwards or the order in which LoopInfo finds
> them (this might be indeterministic). However, it might also be ok to
> just return 0, meaning both are equally complex.
>
> Michael
>

> Am Di., 11. Juni 2019 um 14:21 Uhr schrieb Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I got a crash when I tried to analysis a program with
> ScalarEvolution AliasAnalysis(SCEV-AA for short). It turns out to be a
> (possibly) incorrect assertion inside the CompareSCEVComplexity routine.
> > The simplest solution would be just remove that assertion but I also
> found that the surrounding logics on calculating SCEV cost seems to be
> incorrect either. Thus I want to discuss with you folks about the best way
> to solve this.
> > Here are the details:
> >
> > Setup
> > Off-the-tip llvm-project, including clang and libcxx, built in full
> Debug build
> >
> > Input Program
> > Both the original C file and IR file are enclosed in the attachment. The
> IR generation command is `clang -O1 -emit-llvm -S ptr_test.c -o
> ptr_test.O1.ll`
> >
> > Crashed Command
> > `opt -S -disable-output -basicaa -scev-aa -aa-eval -print-no-aliases
> ptr_test.O1.ll`
> > The core dump message is also in the attachments.
> >
> > Investigations
> > 1. SCEV-AA try to ‘minus' the SCEV expressions of the given two
> pointers(lib/Analysis/ScalarEvolutionAliasAnalysis.cpp:64)
> > 2. ScalarEvolution::getMinusSCEV will boil down into
> ScalarEvolution::getAddExpr. On line 2383 of
> lib/Analysis/ScalarEvolution.cpp, GroupByComplexity is invoked.
> > 3. CompareSCEVComplexity is eventually called to give a partial order
> between two SCEV expression.
> > 4. If there are two SCEVAddExpr that are located in different loops
> which don’t have any hierarchical relation, just like pointers in line 6
> and line 10 in the input program(i.e. ptr_test.c), it will violate the
> assertion in line 705 in lib/Analysis/ScalarEvolution.cpp.
> >
> > The point is that the assertion in line 705 doesn’t make sense in most
> of the cases: I don’t think there is any limitation imposed on arbitrary
> SCEV expressions to make the enclosing SCEVAddRec to be in the same loop(Or
> [...]

Min-Yih Hsu
Ph.D Student in ICS Department, University of California, Irvine (UCI).