[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase & git-blame

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 02:02:57 PDT 2019

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 16:31, James Y Knight via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> As a very frequent explorer of history, I really don't think this is
> as big an issue as it may seem. Even absent refactorings, you often
> run into the "wrong" commit when looking at blame (e.g., someone just
> added a comma rather than actually changing the code you care about),
> and have to look past that, to another previous commit.
>
> Any interactive blame tool ought to have an easy way to do this. For
> example, in emacs's annotation mode (which is what I use), you just
> press 'a' with the cursor on the line in question to re-annotate at
> the commit previous to that.

This matches my experience too, and I'm also frequently exploring
blame history. Internal APIs get adjusted pretty frequently in LLVM so
I it's incredibly common for any of my blame digging to have to look
through intermediate cleanup commits. Given this experience, I'm a bit
puzzled on why blame history is brought up as a concern so frequently,
but possibly people are using blame in a different way?

Best,

Alex