[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase & git-blame

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 23 08:30:52 PDT 2019

As a very frequent explorer of history, I really don't think this is
as big an issue as it may seem. Even absent refactorings, you often
run into the "wrong" commit when looking at blame (e.g., someone just
added a comma rather than actually changing the code you care about),
and have to look past that, to another previous commit.

Any interactive blame tool ought to have an easy way to do this. For
example, in emacs's annotation mode (which is what I use), you just
press 'a' with the cursor on the line in question to re-annotate at
the commit previous to that.