[llvm-dev] WebAssembly use of collectDebugValues

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 21 06:43:03 PST 2019

Hi Dan, Yury, llvm-dev,

The WebAssembly backend has recently started using
MachineInstr::collectDebugValues in r351216 [0] for debuginfo manipulation.
FYI, there are some debuginfo changes coming that *might* invalidate your
use of collectDebugValues, so I thought I'd let you know.

LLVM currently places DBG_VALUE machine pseudo-instructions immediately
after the instruction that defines the DBG_VALUEs operand.
collectDebugValues relies on this behaviour: it only collects DBG_VALUEs
that immediately follow the defining instruction. However, sometime soon
LLVM will instead place DBG_VALUE instructions where variable assignments
in the source program occurred (ish)  [1], removing the behaviour
collectDebugValues relies on.

I have zero knowledge of WebAssembly, so my question is "Does the target
code rely on this behaviour?". No WebAssembly tests fail when the behaviour
changes, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

[0] https://reviews.llvm.org/rL351216
[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D58453

--