[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 19 07:43:40 PST 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 15:24, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 2:16 AM Michael Platings via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Regarding a plan for conversion, I'm keen to avoid perfect being the enemy of better.
>

> It seems a bit early to discuss conversion given there’s not consensus on a style.  For example:

I see it a bit differently. The first question is "should we change
the LLVM naming conventions". I view the plan for conversion as
essential to answering this question - IMHO if we're going to live
with mixed styles for years (which would be the case if there were no
concerted conversion effort) then the advantages of changing naming
convention are outweighed by the disadvantages by quite some way. So
while I appreciate the desire to separate concerns, I find it
difficult to do so in this case.

Best,

Alex