[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #268, February 18th 2019
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 18 12:01:47 PST 2019
LLVM Weekly - #268, February 18th 2019
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the two hundred and sixty-eighth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
The early bird rate for EuroLLVM'19
a series of GCC 8/9 vs LLVM Clang 7/8 compiler benchmarks for AArch64.
## On the mailing lists
* The discussion on changing variable naming in the LLVM codebase
with discussions this week covering concerns about a transition plan.
* Joel E. Denny
placing Clang's libraries in Clang-dedicated directories (within lib/clang
instead of lib/).
* Todd Snider kicked off an [RFC
allowing global label definition through inline asm. James Y Knight
it would also be useful to expose what global symbols are defined by an asm
* Chris Bowler shared an RFC on [adding LLVM support for
* Philip Reames [seeks
on the precise meaning of "must alias", which Chris Lattner
* Shiva Chen shared an RFC on [passing a target module flag with LTO
Specifically, whether to pass a new `-msmall-data-limit` (implemented for the
RISC-V backend) using the LTO interface, module metadata, or represented in a
different way in IR.
## LLVM commits
* Documentation was added detailing common recipes for migrating downstream
branches of git mirrors to the new canonical monorepo hosted on GitHub.
* AddressSanitizer was ported to the new pass manager.
* Many PrintFatalError calls in tablegen now contain location information.
* The AArch64 backend gained support for reserving arbitrary general purpose
* The RISC-V backend now supports assembling the `la` pseudoinstruction.
## Clang commits
* The ShadowCallStack documentation was updated.
* Build and install targets were added for Clang libraries, similar to the
llvm-libraries target. [r354141](https://reviews.llvm.org/rL354141).
* Android ARM targets now default to NEON.
## Other project commits
* libcxx gained an fenv.h header.
* LLDB was updated to use `std::make_shared`.
More information about the llvm-dev