[llvm-dev] F18-LLVM: Unanswered but important points

Rajesh K Singh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 19 09:13:55 PST 2019

Hello,

This is regarding recent/ongoing discussions about F18 being merged in LLVM.

I was going through these threads, and I found few important points which
were possibly left unanswered (or I might have missed few threads).

Point: Is (3) AST -> FIR -> MLIR LLVM-IR -> LLVM-IR) in a shape where we
can generate LLVM IR now? [*1]

F18 generates parser tree after successful completion of parsing/semantics
phase.

In the above point ([*1]) AST is mentioned. Do we mean that AST and parse
tree as same, as F18 does not generate anything known as AST.

If not, are we planning to implement AST generation in F18?

Point: IR generation still appears to be text string based?

F18 does not generate IR/FIR so far.

Please enlighten on above points.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,