[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #311, December 16th 2019
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 16 12:48:57 PST 2019
LLVM Weekly - #311, December 16th 2019
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the three hundred and eleventh issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
All videos from the 2019 LLVM Developers' Meeting are now posted and available
in a [handy YouTube
LLVM 9.0.1-rc3 [has been
## On the mailing lists
* Teresa Johnson shared an RFC on [supporting agressive whole program
* Jonas Devlieghere wrote up an RFC on [supporting Lua scripting in
* Sam McCall starts a [discussion on providing network RPC in LLVM
and is seeking feedback on depending on external libraries like Thrift, grpc
* Sander De Smalen [shares notes from last week's SVE sync-up
the agenda for the next one.
* Raphael Isemann shared a summary detailing [the future of modern-type-lookup
"modern-type-lookup is a flag that makes LLDB use `clang::ExternalASTMerger`
instead of directly using the `clang::ASTImporter` via our ClangASTImporter
## LLVM commits
* Initial matrix intrinsics and a lowering pass were added.
* Initial work related to profile guided size opimization was committed. This
adds instrumentation, but doesn't yet enable size optimisation.
* Support for a Vector Function Database was merged.
* The Arm cost model now understands cases where a shift can be folded into
other instructions. [be7a107](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGbe7a1070700).
* New tests were added for resolving of RISC-V relocations.
* Dead loop update instructions are now removed from Arm low overhead loops.
* getIntImmCost was renamed to getIntImmCostInst and getIntImmCostIntrin.
* Target-specific intrinsic enums were split into separate headers. This saves
222MB of object file size in a Windows optimised+debug build.
## Clang commits
* A new TableGen backend was added for generating serialisation classes.
* Clang support was added for constrained FP builtins.
* Clang now defaults to `-fuse-init-array`, using `-fno-use-init-array` only
for platforms known not to support `.init_array`.
* Clang learned to synthesise defaulted comparison functions for C++20.
## Other project commits
* A new script was added for symbolising hwasan reports after the fact.
* Fuzzing was added for parts of `<random>` in libcxx.
More information about the llvm-dev