[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #310, December 9th 2019
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 9 09:55:50 PST 2019
LLVM Weekly - #310, December 9th 2019
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the three hundred and tenth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
If you're at the RISC-V Summit this week, be sure to [drop by the lowRISC
and say hello.
## News and articles from around the web
LLVM 9.0.1-rc2 [has been
## On the mailing lists
* Hans Wennborg has shared the [proposed 10.0.0 release
This would see a branch taking place on 15th January with the target date for
the final being 25th Feb 2020.
* Kristof Beyls is [seeking program comittee
for EuroLLVM 2020.
* Gábor Horváth wrote an RFC [proposing function
as a next step in the effort to implement Herb Sutter's lifetime analysis.
The proposed annotations would give information about the lifetime of function
return values or output arguments.
* Michael Woerister fed back that as far as he's aware, [profile-guided
optimisation now works exactly as expected with
* Sander De Smalen is [working to set up SVE/SVE2 LLVM sync-up
The first [will take
Thursday 12th Dec at 4pm GMT.
* Dmitri Gribenko
that he's set up a new buildbot with the new pass manager enabled.
* Brian Gesiak kicked off an RFC discussion on [potentially extending Clang to
help identify wasteful template function
This work would be motivated by a desire to help programmers identify ways to
reduce compilation time.
## LLVM commits
* The ARMCodeGenPrepare pass has graduated from the Arm backend to a
generic TypePromotion pass. [bc76dad](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGbc76dadb3cf).
* LLVM's documentation on contributing was expanded to discuss
* The LangRef was updated to clarify the behaviour of poison within vector
* The MachineVerifier will now check that the operand type matches that of the
* GlobalISel now allows targets to override how to widen constants during
* The register coalescer was updated so that if it rematerialises a register,
it only sets a subregsiter rather than the super-register, if possible.
## Clang commits
* Concepts implementation work continues with the addition of enforcement for
associated constraints and elaborated diagnostics on why constraints weren't
* The new SpacesInConditionalStatement option for clang-format will insert
spaces inside the braces for if/for/while conditions. e.g. `if ( a )`.
* Clang learned a `Wmisleading-indentation` warning.
* clang-tidy modernize-avoid-bind check was rewritten, adding significant new
## Other project commits
* LLDB's reproducer support will now check that the version of the running LLDB
matches the one in the reproducer.
* LLVM's OpenMP library can now build a minimal device runtime library for
More information about the llvm-dev