[llvm-dev] libc++ tests won't run due to a breaking change in Python 3.8 libraries

Sergej Jaskiewicz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 5 10:28:23 PST 2019

The libc++ tests rely on the `platform.linux_distribution()` API [1], which is deprecated since Python 3.5 and removed [2] in Python 3.8, which is already released. This API is used to XFAIL certain tests based on the linux distro.

So, I can’t run libc++ tests when the only Python I have is 3.8.

Yes, I know, I could use Python 2, but I really don’t want to, since it will die in less than a month [3].

The proposed solution is to use the distro package [3], but AFAIK the LLVM community doesn’t want to depend on third-party packages.

Any ideas how this can be dealt with?

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/c8f0d3e130d336f49c204b9ee317bf99be192a82/libcxx/utils/libcxx/test/target_info.py#L194-L216

[2] https://docs.python.org/3.7/library/platform.html#platform.linux_distribution

[3] https://pythonclock.org