[llvm-dev] Question on pattern matching extractelt

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 2 12:31:20 PST 2019

The (i32 extract_vector_elt (v4i16)) doesn't guarantee any particular value
in the extra bits of the result. So type legalization may have inserted an
AND or SIGN_EXTEND_INREG after the extra node if the original code had zero
extended or sign extended the original i16 result. If you target has a well
defined behavior for the extra bits that would make an AND or
SIGN_EXTEND_INREG reduncant, it might be better to lower this to a target
specific opcode and then teach computeKnownBitsForTargetNode or
computeNumSignBitsForTarget node the property that your hardware
guarantees. This will allow DAG combine to remove extra nodes based on this
information.

WebAssembly has explicit patterns for and+vector_extract and
sign_extend_inreg+vector_extract to pick specific instructions that have
guarantees for the upper bits. But that might not cover all possible cases
that a DAG combine with known bits or sign bits information would have been
able to do.

~Craig