[llvm-dev] How to best deal with undesirable Induction Variable Simplification?

Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 9 10:00:23 PDT 2019

> I see. So LSR could theoretically counteract undesirable Ind Var transformations but it’s not implemented at the moment?

I believe that's correct.

>  I think I’ve managed to come up with a small reproducer that can also exhibit similar problem on x86, here it is: https://godbolt.org/z/_wxzut

Thanks. Can you please file a bug on https://bugs.llvm.org/? (if you can't, let us know, and one of us can do it).

 -Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory

I see. So LSR could theoretically counteract undesirable Ind Var transformations but it’s not implemented at the moment?

I think I’ve managed to come up with a small reproducer that can also exhibit similar problem on x86, here it is: https://godbolt.org/z/_wxzut

As you can see, when rewriteLoopExitValues is not disabled Clang generates worse code due to additional spills, because Ind Vars rewrites all exit values of ‘a’ to recompute it’s value instead of reusing the value from the loop body. This requires extra registers for the new “a after the loop” value (since it’s not simply reused) and also to store the new “offset”, which leads to the extra spills since they all live across big loop body. When exit values are not rewritten ‘a’ stays in it’s `r15d` register with no extra costs.

--

Danila