[llvm-dev] Question about downloading and building LLVM 9.0.0 from source

Thomas Lively via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 15 11:51:07 PDT 2019

Hi Osman,

Emscripten uses tip-of-tree LLVM instead of the major releases, and the
current version number of tip-of tree LLVM is 9. Emscripten uses
tip-of-tree LLVM because the WebAssembly backend is being developed
alongside emscripten, so the major LLVM releases quickly become out of date
with respect to the latest emscripten features. LLVM 9 does not need to be
officially released in order for you to use it with Emscripten. WebAssembly
is a regular target since LLVM 8, not an experimental target.

In the future, it would be better to send questions related to Emscripten
to the emscripten-discuss email list, since Emscripten is not relevant to
most LLVM developers:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/emscripten-discuss