[llvm-dev] How to add Loongson ISA for Mips target?

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 6 08:18:53 PDT 2018

- my old email address.

The ISA_* classes might not be the best choice for this. There's an overall hierarchy and ordering to the ISA_* classes since they represent the generations of the MIPS ISA. If these extensions are available in Loongson chips based on MIPS32r1 and MIPS32r2 for example, it becomes difficult to describe with ISA_* classes without duplicating instruction definitions or setting up complicated subsets (like we had to for MIPS32r6 to deal with the instruction removals).

I would recommend the ASE_* classes which are intended for application specific extensions. These are used for optional extensions to the MIPS ISA such as MSA or DSP, but are also used for vendor specific extensions to the MIPS ISA such as cnMIPS. The ASE_CNMIPS class and the Proc<"octeon", ...> record are good examples that show how Cavium's extensions to the MIPS ISA were included.