[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] LLVM C++14/C++17 BoF - Summary

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 19 14:36:39 PDT 2018

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 11:27 AM, via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> So, there was agreement that the default gcc for recent-but-not-latest distros was not important? That is, it's okay to require people to upgrade their tools in order to work with LLVM?
>
> In my team's case, a lot of us are on Ubuntu 16.04 which comes with gcc 5.4, which is not gcc 7.  And currently for Windows we're on MSVC 2015.
> I suppose by March we can persuade our IT to upgrade all the people and bots to Ubuntu 18.04 (gcc 7.3?) and deploy MSVC 2017.  But it's something we need to plan for.
> (I suppose I should thank the Google folks for being such slugs J about being ready to switch, because it will give us time to get things organized for ourselves.)

The discussion from folks using Linux as well as from Linux vendors was that distros which come with older versions of GCC also provide easy ways to install newer versions of GCC, without upgrading the distro.

There was little discussion of MSVC, besides praising its C++17 support in the latest version.