[llvm-dev] Live range priority in Greedy RA

jingu kang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 8 03:01:32 PST 2018

As far as I know, there is a good comment about priority on enqueue as below.

  /// Allow the target to reverse allocation order of local live ranges. This
  /// will generally allocate shorter local live ranges first. For targets with
  /// many registers, this could reduce regalloc compile time by a large
  /// factor. It is disabled by default for three reasons:
  /// (1) Top-down allocation is simpler and easier to debug for targets that
  /// don't benefit from reversing the order.
  /// (2) Bottom-up allocation could result in poor evicition decisions on some
  /// targets affecting the performance of compiled code.
  /// (3) Bottom-up allocation is no longer guaranteed to optimally color.
  virtual bool reverseLocalAssignment() const { return false; }

If you are implementing your custom target, you could control the
priority of enqueue with 'reverseLocalAssignment()'. However, the
allocated registers can be evicted with weight comparison and the live
ranges can be split when the all of physical registers are consumed.
The priority on enqueue does not guarantee  allocation of physical
register. I am not code owner of register allocation so I might be
wrong.

Cheers,
JinGu Kang
2018년 11월 8일 (목) 오전 10:02, Dangeti Tharun kumar
<cs15mtech11002 at iith.ac.in>님이 작성: