[llvm-dev] RFC: [FileCheck] CHECK-DAG for multiple occurrences of string

Joel E. Denny via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 7 11:58:55 PDT 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Jessica Paquette <jpaquette at apple.com>
wrote:

> Right now, the tests try to accomplish the following
>
> 1. Define a sequence of instructions (e.g a,b,c)
> 2. Insert that sequence into k places with an unique instruction between
> them to make sure the outliner will yank them out *without overlaps*
> 3. Check for k calls to an outlined function
> 4. Check that the outlined sequence still exists in the program
>
> This can result in some pretty long tests which would be a lot easier to
> define if we could say something like “this function must contain k
> instances of an outlined call, and not contain this sequence of
> instructions”.
>
> test/CodeGen/machine-outliner.mir is a pretty good example of a test that
> would benefit from this sort of thing.

I'm not sure if what I'm proposing will do what you need.  CHECK-DAG is for
cases where a set of expected strings is unordered.  I'm trying to extend
it to handle cases where those strings aren't unique either.  In your
example, I see the non-unique property but not the unordered property.  Did
I miss it?

Moreover, it seems your example could be handled now by two FileCheck calls
with different prefixes, say OUT and INS.  The first would use a sequence
of k "OUT:" directives to ensure that there are k outlined calls.  The
second would use "INS-NOT:" directives to ensure other instructions don't
occur.  The calls could also have a common prefix, say CHECK, to use for
the function labels.  Does that do what you want?

Thanks

Joel