[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2018] A single updater class for Dominators in LLVM

Sagar Thakur via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 21 11:37:41 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am a first year M.Tech (computer science) student at IIIT Hyderabad. I
am interested in working on the project - single updater class for the
dominator tree in llvm and the algorithm for pruning unwanted changes to
the Post Dominator Tree.

I have gone through the programmers manual of llvm in the past and I
have 3 years experience of working with the LLVM community. I have also
gone through the dominator class reference diagrams. I am also
experimenting with the dominator tree IR unit tests in llvm and trying
to see whats going on inside using the debug flag
--debug-only=dom-tree-builder.

Although I have worked previously in llvm, my work was mainly focused on
the porting of MIPS processor for various LLVM projects. This is the
first time I will be working on the generic part of LLVM. The area of
dominator trees and such compiler optimizations is completely new to me
and I always wanted to work on the internal data structures used in
compiler optimization. I believe this project will be a good start for
me to get into the field of compiler optimization.

I have attached my proposal for the project and I would really
appreciate if you can give me some feedback on the proposal.

Regards,

Sagar