[llvm-dev] Fwd: [GSOC 2018] Dangling string pointer checker

Zhihan CHEN via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 6 21:23:47 PST 2018

Hello developers,

My name is Zhihan Chen and I am currently a year 4 computer science student
at the University of Hong Kong.

I am interested in building a checker for dangling string pointer. I've
learned some essential knowledge about compiler from our university course
and built a mini-compiler on my own (Available at https://github.com/CHEN-
Zhihan/Compiler).

I've gone through the llvm tutorial and I am currently checking some of the
static checkers and learning building a new checker. I am wondering if it
is possible to treat this problem as a variation of use-after-free problem
so that we may make some adaptations based on MallocChecker. I also think
that we can check free the string from the raw pointer problem.

This project is rather interesting and I am really willing to make some
contribution to the LLVM community.

Thanks,

Zhihan