[llvm-dev] [LLD] Lack of REQUIRES causing test failures when not building with x86 support

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 4 08:53:29 PDT 2018

Hello Joel,

I don't think that there is a cunning plan with REQUIRES. I seem to
remember that there was some debate over the testing strategy and
platforms, but unfortunately I can't quickly find a link to it. In
summary:
- Much of the functionality of LLD is target independent, for example
linker script support.
- To write a test needs us to pick a target for these types of test
and X86 was chosen as this was the most likely target to be compiled
into build machines, for example the Arm and AArch64 buildbots include
the X86 backend.

I think that the missing 117 "REQUIRES" are an oversight, or
historical artefact, and I think patches would be welcome to add them
back in; a bot that doesn't build in the X86 backend is probably
needed to keep this maintained as it is easy to forget the REQUIRES.
However I think that if the goal is to test the majority of the
functionality of LLD it would be wise to compile in support for X86 as
much of the generic functionality will go untested.

Peter