[llvm-dev] GEP transformation by InstCombiner

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 16 08:34:36 PST 2018

On 16 Jan 2018, at 16:19, Demikhovsky, Elena <elena.demikhovsky at intel.com> wrote:

>> Note that InstCombine is not the only place that tries to insert pointer-width GEPs in the optimization pipeline.  I think that we’ve fixed all of them, but I can’t be entirely sure.
> I'm going to upload a patch, but I'm fixing only the places that are covered by our test system. I'll add you as a reviewer and you are welcome to help me with fixing them all.
>
>> We haven’t upstreamed this, because no in-tree target needs them, but I’d be happy to try to extract the relevant parts and put them up for review if this is generally useful.
> We also have an internal diff, but we are trying to upstream everything that has a common sense.

Please take a look at our tree:

https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/llvm/

We’ve been doing this in public for the last five to six years and are able to compile large bodies of C/C++ code with it.  It would be a shame to reinvent the wheel.

I’m more than happy for anything that’s generally useful to go upstream.

David