[llvm-dev] Using LLD to link against third-party libraries? How?

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 12 12:03:25 PST 2018

If you want to use the LLVM toolchain in Visual Studio, you should install
the extension from here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=LLVMExtensions.llvm-toolchain

After that, set LLVM to be the toolchain in your IDE project settings,
don't try doing it from a command prompt.

Also, just to re-iterate, use clang-cl.exe instead of clang++.exe.

I can help you get a self-host build working (compiling clang and lld using
itself), but please try to get an MSVC build working *first*.  Since you
are having difficulties, it helps to do simpler things first, and once you
have that working, move to something more complicated.