[llvm-dev] Implement VLIW Backend on LLVM (Assembler Related Questions)

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 10 11:19:46 PST 2018

In the intermediate language that assembler works on an instruction is
represented by an MCInst. An MCInst can have other instructions as
operands, and this is how the Hexagon backend implements bundles.

A top-level MCInst (i.e. the entire bundle) is encoded all at once from
the point of view of the target-independent mechanisms. Those mechanisms
use target-specific code that each implementation needs to provide, and
in your code you can handle each bundle as you want.

Check MCCodeEmitter and how different targets implement it.

As for the syntax---the parser needs to be able to determine the bundle
boundary. (For example Hexagon uses braces {} to enclose each bundle.)
The way the assembler works is that it constructs an instruction and
passes it to the associated streamer. The streamer is typically an
assembly streamer (i.e. printing the instruction assembly), or an object
file streamer (e.g. ELF, etc.)

The answers to all your questions are "yes", or "it's doable", but the
degree of complexity may vary between different choices.

The major suggestion that I have is to make sure that the syntax is
unambiguous, specifically when it comes to bundle boundaries. Another
suggestion is to maintain the "mnemonic op, op, ..." syntax for
individual instructions (i.e. mnemonic followed by a list of operands).
Hexagon has its own assembly syntax that doesn't follow that, and it
makes things a bit more complicated.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation