[llvm-dev] ABI change in LLVM 7.0.x release

Brooks Davis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 5 16:45:08 PST 2018

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 11:39:28AM -0800, Tom Stellard via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 12/05/2018 02:06 AM, Jacob Lifshay wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2018, 10:43 Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > 
> >     I am proposing that we hold this fix out of 7.0.1 and instead ship it in
> >     a special 7.0.2 (or maybe 7.1.0 ?) release, so that users that want to
> >     are still able to get all the bug-fixes without the ABI changes.
> > 
> > I think we should go with 7.1.0 instead of 7.0.2, since 7.1.0 looks unusual as opposed to 7.0.2, which looks like business as usual. This will help people to notice that the ABI changed.
> > 
> This was my initial thought as well, but I'm not sure if this is technically
> possible with our current system.  The shared object only contains the
> major version in its name, so we would need some other changes.  I can look
> into how feasible this would be.

A separate release would be best for FreeBSD packages.  I think 7.1.0
would be slightly better for me, but we can cope either way (we'd just
bump the versions of everything that depends on libLLVM.)

-- Brooks
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 455 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/attachments/20181206/e7855661/attachment.sig>

More information about the llvm-dev mailing list