[llvm-dev] Where's the optimiser gone? (part 5.a): missed tail calls, and more...

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 3 09:06:19 PST 2018

Hi Stefan,

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 06:10, Stefan Kanthak via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> "Tim Northover" <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 at 17:37, Stefan Kanthak via llvm-dev
>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>> Compile the following functions with "-O3 -target amd64"
>>
>> You've been advised before, but you really need to start reporting
>> these as bugs[*] if you actually care about them.
>
> These ain't my bugs, these are LLVM's bugs.

FWIW, I think you're misunderstanding Tim's intent there. He's not saying they're your bugs, he's just saying they need to be reported in the correct place.

> I don't use LLVM, I just dared to write some posts which pinpoint
> deficiencies and bugs in it. You should see this as COURTESY.
> The least I expect from any software developer, and especially a
> "foundation", is to take action on bug reports, INDEPENDENT how they
> are reported.
>
>> llvm-dev is
>> basically a black-hole as far as bugs go: if no-one takes enough of an
>> interest to either fix or file a bug within a day or two, the issue
>> will be completely forgotten. The list is intended for discussion of
>> issues and future designs, not reporting them.
>
> That's clearly LLVM's problem.
>
>> It seems you got lucky and someone did file at least one report from
>> one of these threads;
>
> You got that backwards: YOU are lucky that I took the time to report
> these bugs!
>
>> you should expect that to become less frequent.
>> People are willing to assume the best of new contributors, but by the
>> time you reach a dozen threads without actually engaging with the
>> community's procedures that goodwill starts to look a bit threadbare.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Tim.
>>
>> [*] https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html
>
> | If you are working with LLVM and run into a bug, we definitely want
> | to know about it.

The sentence following that one provides instructions on how to report bugs:
	Please let us know and follow the instructions in How to submit an LLVM bug report <https://llvm.org/docs/HowToSubmitABug.html> to create a bug report.

Those instructions say:
	Once you have a reduced test-case, go to the LLVM Bug Tracking System <https://bugs.llvm.org/enter_bug.cgi> and fill out the form with the necessary details (note that you don’t need to pick a category, just use the “new-bugs” category if you’re not sure).
You already seem to have reduced test cases (Thanks) so they just need to be reported to the bug tracker.

Unfortunately, it's a bit harder to create an account with the bug tracker than it ought to be as there's been trouble with spam. bugs-admin at lists.llvm.org can set you up with an account.