[llvm-dev] Is it possible to execute Objective-C code via LLVM JIT?

Stanislav Pankevich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 6 12:19:09 PDT 2018

Hi again,

I had tried to follow David's suggestion to take a step back and look
into codegen instead of hacking on RuntimeDyld but then I quickly
realized that I don't understand what exactly needs to be done to
fully register Objective-C runtime. I decided to iterate on JIT code
again and somehow I found that I can hook into SectionMemory by
subclassing it and working with its allocateDataSection method:

1) I collect pointers to objc-related sections for which the memory is
allocated. Before SectionMemoryManager::finalizeMemory() method is
called I register the ObjC runtime classes.
2) I iterate over __objc_selrefs sections and fixup selectors. This
does fix the original crash of this thread.
3) I iterate over __objc_classlist sections and register the new
classes using objc_allocateClassPair function, register the properties
and ivars to these new classes, run objc_registerClassPair to complete
the registration. (I still have to implement the protocol
registration)
4) I iterate over __objc_classrefs and __objc_superrefs and fix up the
class pointers with the new classes created at step 2.
5) I iterate over __objc_classlist and fix up its classes with the new
classes created at step 2.

The very basic Objective-C code seems to work now without any issues,
however when I switch to mixed Objective-C/Swift code I start getting
some crashes which I don't fully understand. In particular I am trying
to run a simple XCTestCase test written in Swift and my code crashes
when I access the property of this Swift's ObjC-based class.

My questions are:

1) Should I do anything else to properly register Objective-C besides
what I am doing at steps 1-5?

2) Do I have to do anything additionally to make run Swift code with
LLVM JIT? On of the attached files show that the object I am working
with has sections like: __swift3_* or __swift2_*. Should I do anything
about this sections or they are irrelevant?

3) Anything that I am missing / should know about if I want to run
mixed Objective-C/Swift code via LLVM JIT?

My very hacky code is located here [1]. If needed I can also share the
code of my latest attempts to run the combined ObjC/Swift code.

https://github.com/mull-project/mull-jit-lab/tree/master/lab-jit-objc/llvm-jit-lab/src

Any help very much appreciated.

Stanislav