[llvm-dev] Custom Binary Format Challenges

Kenneth Adam Miller via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 1 10:48:21 PDT 2018

Hello,

I hope you are all doing well and thanks in advance. I need to program a
transformation of a set of llvm bitcode to have some various techniques
woven in. In particular, I need to resolve a given computed target address
to one of several in the same way that the function of a dynamic library is
resolved, but I need this resolution to happen in the binary target of my
choice where I tell it to. It's basically exactly the same facility as when
you compile a group of files as a shared library target. The only
difference is, I need this to happen under my control, according to
function targets that I can choose and for an argument value that I can
also choose as an ordinal to look them up.

I think that I may need to write a compiler pass where this occurs but part
of the problem is 1) I don't know how to make such a thing occur at the
bitcode level, 2) and the oridinal is calculated from the instruction
pointer.

Can anybody help? Is there a library or function call for calculating
lookup tables from a given set of targets given an ordinal? Is there a way
to obtain the instruction pointer in llvm bitcode?