[llvm-dev] Errors linking with LLVM 5.0 - dump() missing

Dibyendu Majumdar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 25 12:56:37 PDT 2017

Hi Martin,

On 25 September 2017 at 20:35, Martin J. O'Riordan <MartinO at theheart.ie> wrote:
> Are you building a Debug or Release version of the compiler?

It seems that in Release builds of LLVM 5.0 the dump() implementation
is absent, although the method is available in the interface. This is
plain wrong in my view. If the dump() has to be removed then it should
not be present in the interface.

> I had similar problems a few days ago when I was migrating to v5.0, and it turned out that I had calls to some of the dump routines that were not guarded by either 'DEBUG(...)' or '#ifndef NDEBUG ... #endif' and I was seeing the link failures with a Release build.  These had been there since LLVM v3.1 and had never broken before.  There was some clean-up done in the sources so that may of the 'dump' routines are enabled only for Debug builds, and I fixed these (in my code) by adding these guards.

Well the problem is that there is no obvious way for a client to
detect whether the dump() implementation is available or not - as it
does not depend upon the Release/Debug build status of the client, but
how LLVM 5.0 was originally compiled. So the guards you have put are
not really going to work (that is my finding anyway).

Regards
Dibyendu