[llvm-dev] [RFC] llvm-dwarfdump's command line interface

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 14:32:33 PDT 2017

For anyone looking: http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/dwarfdump/

> Doing this means implementing the missing features, such as the ability to
> print only subsets of DIEs, looking up DIEs by name or address, and the
> option to produce more diff-friendly output. I'm fairly certain that these
> additional features will be beneficial on all LLVM-suported platforms.
> To turn it into a drop-in replacement on Darwin, I will also need to
> re-orgnize the command line interface a bit. In particular (and this is
> pretty much the only difference)
>
> $ llvm-dwarfdump --debug-dump=info
> $ llvm-dwarfdump --debug-dump=apple-objc
>
> becomes
>
> $ dwarfdump --debug-info
> $ dwarfdump --apple-objc
>
> respectively.
> My question is, how attached are users on other platforms to the current
> command line interface?

I'm not especially attached - though I imagine it's pretty cheap to support
both (though I don't personally mind if you want to migrate from one to the
other - will just take a bit to relearn the muscle memory).

One other thing: If we're moving towards a point where llvm-dwarfdump is
not just a tool for LLVM developers but a shipping product, might be worth
being a bit more rigorous about testing for it (historically sometimes
dwarfdump functionality hasn't been tested - committed along with the LLVM
functionality it was implemented to test - or the only testing is with
checked in object files, which are a bit hard to maintain). Either looking
at the DWARF YAML support and maybe fleshing it out a bit/making it more
usable, or maybe assembly based tests? Not sure.