[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 22:30:33 PDT 2017

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 2:11 PM, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Note that we could, in theory, provide a python script or something called `bootstrap.py` which
>
> a) downloads a source tarball, or specific git revision for a particular clang release
> b) compiles it using system compiler
> c) installs it
> d) cleans up
>
> so that you wouldn't have to do anything manually.

I love that you’re pushing hard on this, but I don’t think that this approach is practical.  While I love the future where everything is built with ToT clang, there are lots of reason why people either don’t want to do that (e.g. for “subjectively" bad reasons) or where they really can’t (e.g. clang doesn’t support their weird target).

-Chris