[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 14:36:27 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Note that we could, in theory, provide a python script or something called
> `bootstrap.py` which
>
> a) downloads a source tarball, or specific git revision for a particular
> clang release
> b) compiles it using system compiler
> c) installs it
> d) cleans up

I'd guess that we could do this two-stage bootstrapping automatically using
cmake when cmake finds that the host compiler is too old to compile our
compiler. (And you don't need to install your compiler -- you can just copy
it to some subdirectory in a build directory.)

so that you wouldn't have to do anything manually.  The script could