[llvm-dev] Adding a third-party dependency in clang-tools-extra

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 19 14:20:22 PDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:08 PM Sam McCall <sammccall at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If compelling, could an alternative be to make it a build time dep for
>>> folks wanting to build clangd, as opposed to putting it in svn?
>>>

>> FWIW, while I don't like this personally, I also don't see any real
>> problem with this.
>>
> Does this mean it somehow addresses the licensing issue? I don't really
> see how, but this is hardly my area.

No, it doesn't address it. It contains it.

As source code, the license issue is hard to contain. But linking against a
system library has relatively limited license implications. LLDB does this
and we've done it elsewhere. It is a relatively constrained and well
understood thing compared to embedding source code.

> It does seem pretty inconvenient.

Yeah. Its something that we avoid for the convenience reasons among other
issues.

As for how to weigh it against having to implementing something that
already exists in the world, dunno.