[llvm-dev] Email list just for front end developers?

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 6 21:38:50 PDT 2017

Hi Perry,

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
>> Let me put it this way -- I'm pretty sure if you take it on yourself
>> to answer beginner questions on llvm-dev promptly, nobody will
>> *complain*.  In fact, you're going to make some folks happy. :)
>
> Sure, but who will answer mine? Part of the reason I asked about
> this was selfish, as I'd like access to other people in the same
> situation as me who might know answers. (I don't think the people here
> now will want to answer more questions, and many of my questions
> doubtless border on inanely stupid but for the fact that it is hard
> to find answers in the docs.)

I don't see how people who don't have time to answer on llvm-dev will
find time to answer on some other mailing list.

> That said, I'm willing to give it a try, as an experiment. How long
> should we attempt it for? If that's reasonably agreed to, I'll

Depends on how much time you have -- that's the limiting resource here.

However, I liked your idea of maintaining a wiki-like thing.  Both
http://llvm.org/docs/Frontend/PerformanceTips.html and
http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/ will be good additions there.

> personally give it a good faith effort myself during the period. (I'm
> not sure I will be able to help with more than a fraction of the
> questions, being very new at this myself, but I'll do my best.)

Thanks!
-- Sanjoy