[llvm-dev] Email list just for front end developers?

Perry E. Metzger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 6 14:55:00 PDT 2017

On Sat, 6 May 2017 13:46:18 -0700 Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > I'm not sure that will work well, because people won't usually
> > wait a week to get their questions before moving on. If you're
> > actively working full time on a project, you probably want
> > answers in much less time.
>
> Sure s/week/day/ then. :)  You're also welcome to be more active on
> the existing IRC channel.

I've tried being active on (and asking questions on) the IRC channel.
There doesn't seem to be much of a culture of answering questions
there either, though. :(

> > But again, that said, if people really think that this is the
> > right place for such things and not a new list, that can probably
> > be given a good faith effort. My perception was that it probably
> > wouldn't work well because this list is de facto for something
> > else, but I'm willing to try if that's a strong consensus.
>
> Let me put it this way -- I'm pretty sure if you take it on yourself
> to answer beginner questions on llvm-dev promptly, nobody will
> *complain*.  In fact, you're going to make some folks happy. :)

Sure, but who will answer mine? Part of the reason I asked about
this was selfish, as I'd like access to other people in the same
situation as me who might know answers. (I don't think the people here
now will want to answer more questions, and many of my questions
doubtless border on inanely stupid but for the fact that it is hard
to find answers in the docs.)

That said, I'm willing to give it a try, as an experiment. How long
should we attempt it for? If that's reasonably agreed to, I'll
personally give it a good faith effort myself during the period. (I'm
not sure I will be able to help with more than a fraction of the
questions, being very new at this myself, but I'll do my best.)

If we are to try this for real, we also might want to make some sort
of effort to encourage people to ask more questions here, or it is
likely that the current habit of not asking them will persist.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com