[llvm-dev] What does it mean by a "DICompileUnit missing from llvm.dgs.cu" ? | Where is the error ?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 11 10:34:53 PST 2017

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 3:10 AM SANJAY SRIVALLABH SINGAPURAM via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One of my Julia programs failed to execute with the following error,
> DICompileUnit not listed in llvm.dbg.cu
> !11 = distinct !DICompileUnit(language: DW_LANG_C89, file: !3, producer:
> "julia", isOptimized: true, runtimeVersion: 0,emissionKind: FullDebug,
> enums: !12)
>
> This was generated by verifyModule(*GPUModule,&(llvm::errs())From whithin
> PPCGCodeGeneration.cpp in Polly.
>
> From <llvm_src>/test/Verifier/dbg-orphaned-compileunit.ll, I understand
> that the debug info, of a compile unit, represented by !11 is missing from
> llvm.dbg.cu.
>
> What does this mean ? What could have caused this problem and how can I
> fix it ?

At the LLVM level, it means that the CU debug info (DICompileUnit) wasn't
listed in the list of all compile units (!llvm.dbg.cu global named metadata
node) when it should be. Whatever produced the IR you are using likely has
a bug and should be fixed to ensure the DICompileUnits created are included
in the !llvm.dbg.cu global named metadata node (check Clang's behavior for
comparison - usually a good reference point)

This invariant was added a while ago (in LLVM time - I think it was in the
last year or maybe two) by Adrian.

- Dave