[llvm-dev] The undef story

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 19:48:21 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Chandler,
>                where we disagree is in whether the current project is
> moving the issue
> forward.  It is not.  It is making the compiler more complex for no
> additional value.
>
> The current project is not based in evidence, I have asked for any SPEC
> benchmark
> that shows performance gain by the compiler taking advantage of “undefined
> behavior”
> and no one can show that.

One easy way to measure this is to enable -fwrapv/-ftrapv on the compiler
command line, which impede the compiler's usual exploitation of signed wrap
UB in C. Last I heard, those options lead to substantial performance
regressions.

It sounds like you are implicitly claiming that there would be no
performance regression. If the -fwrapv/-ftrapv measurements are in line
with this, that will be useful new information for the discussion. But I
think that you need to do the work here (and it isn't that much work
compared to writing out emails; or perhaps I'm just a slow email writer).

I don't think anybody has really up to date numbers on the performance
effect of those options on SPEC. Could you please get some up to date
numbers before continuing this discussion? If the results are as you seem
to imply, then that will be very convincing support for your point.

If you can't be bothered to do that, I have to question how invested you
are in pushing the LLVM project toward a better solution to its current
woes with the poison/undef situation.

-- Sean Silva