[llvm-dev] moving libfuzzer to compiler-rt?

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 12 13:27:58 PDT 2017

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, George Karpenkov via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> I already forgot why we decided not to move the code to compiler-rt.
>>
>> This would solve at least this problem.
>> Since we now have -fsanitize=fuzzer it will actually be pretty natural.
>>

>> Licensing concerns, compiler-rt has a different license.
>>
>> BTW libFuzzer CMake has a crazy amount of hacks to work under Windows,
>> where logic in many parts
>> is entirely different, so any help on testing and fixing arising issues
>> would be much appreciated.
>> All I can do is to make a commit and then try to understand the response
>> from a bots,
>> which is not very efficient.
>>

> I got volunteered to help with that, I'll try your patch.
>
> There's more stuff to unpack in the rest of your email, though. I'd really
> rather go to compiler-rt instead of runtimes. runtimes seems like it's
> going the opposite direction from the monorepo efforts.

I don't see how runtimes is going either for- or against- the monorepo
stuff. We really need a model like runtimes/ rather than a model like
projects/ going forward regardless of where you find the code. This is
necessary if we want to build cross-compiled compiler-rt libraries in
any sort of sane way.