[llvm-dev] Redefining optnone to help LTO

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 17 21:50:33 PST 2017

Ultimately pushing a much stuff a possible to function attributes makes it the most natural. Think -ffast-math, -Os, -Oz, or subtargets attributes. Handling all this stuff at the function level has been proven the easiest to get straightfoward during LTO, and more flexible for “advanced” use-case when mixing modes in a single module.

The reasons to not address O1 vs O2 vs O3 is IMO that 1) it is complicated and 2) there isn’t much use-case for this, or I didn’t hear about anyone really caring a lot about it. So pragmatically, it makes sense to me to try to address first the low-hanging fruits and to solve what is valuable (I can’t build our kernel with ThinLTO because we don’t encode -ffreestanding correctly, etc.).

Now, if someone has a great idea on how to handle O1/O2/O3 consistently in a way that includes LTO, I’m willing to help on the implementation side!

—
Mehdi