[llvm-dev] Redefining optnone to help LTO

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 17 18:12:25 PST 2017

If we're not storing actual optimization levels (which is Chandler's expressed preference, in the review), and just looking at optnone/not-optnone, then all those questions have straightforward answers (2 & 3 are already things the existing optnone attribute has to deal with).

1) every function would be marked as optnone or not, so there is no concept of a "module" optimization level.
2) inlining is already well-defined for optnone v. not-optnone:
2a) calls made by an optnone function are never inlined except for calls to always_inline functions
2b) optnone functions are always noinline, therefore calls to an optnone function are never inlined
3) optnone functions use FastISel (assuming that's what you meant by "code generator")

--paulr