[llvm-dev] Clang 5.0 support for armv8 64 bit with neon and auto vectorization

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 3 02:02:00 PST 2017

Hello Haider,

I'll have to make this quick as I need to leave the office to get on a
train. I hope my colleagues will be able to correct anything I've got
wrong.

I suggest taking a look at the set of command line options supported
by the aarch64 target. The armv8 target can mean m-profile without
ARM, r-profile or a-profile, floating point or neon is not uniform
across these targets.

For -target=aarch64 simd and hard precision floating point are the
default and assumed option, there is also no ABI support for
soft-floating point so the command line options are redundant. I
suggest just removing -mfpu and -mfloat-abi and you'll get the results
you want.

The -march and -mcpu options can give you some extra control, for
example --target=aarch64 -march=armv8-a+simd+fp.

Peter