[llvm-dev] [RFC] 'Review corner' section in LLVM Weekly

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 28 10:02:09 PDT 2017

On 28 August 2017 at 17:49, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
>> On 27 August 2017 at 00:01, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all. I'm assuming most people reading this email are familiar with LLVM's
>>> code review process <http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#code-reviews>
>>> as well as LLVM Weekly, the development newsletter I've written and sent out
>>> every Monday since Jan 2014. Since that time, it's provided something of a
>>> "signal boost" for important mailing list discussions and commits. I feel it
>>> could play a similar role in helping patches that are stuck waiting for code
>>> reviews, or drawing attention to submissions from first time contributors.
>>> There may be alternative or complementary approaches to tackling this
>>> perceived problem we should discuss - I'm coming from a position of trying to
>>> apply the tools I have at my disposal. Also see my previous thoughts on this
>>> issue <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-November/106696.html>.
>>
>> Hans Wennborg suggested on Twitter that bugs could also be included. I
>> can't write a coherent response in 140 characters, so am responding
>> here.
>
> The reason I brought it up is because I think the situation is
> somewhat similar to stalled reviews; in fact forgotten bug reports are
> even worse in a way: if no developers are cc'd on the bug, the pings
> don't go anywhere -- no mailing list, no nothing. At least with code
> reviews, pings usually go to one of the -commits lists.

Good point.

> What I was thinking when I replied to your tweet was something like
> "bugs filed in the last 7 days which no-one seems to have looked at",
> or something similar. Hopefully it should be possible to build the
> list automatically.
>
> I'm not sure how large that list would be each week though, or how
> useful it would be. Also, this might be something we should fix by
> having a better bug triaging process in general.

Thanks for the clarification. Trying to improve bug triage problem
seems like a manageable proposition. I'd guess it's already possible
to construct a bugzilla query showing bugs filed in the past 7 days
that haven't been triaged?

Something like the following?:

"""
## Bug corner

In the past 7 days, XXX bugs have been opened, YYY bugs have been
closed. ZZZ newly-filed bugs remain untriaged - see <link> to help.
Thanks to contributions from CREDIT1, ..., CREDITN, AAA out of BBB
bugs were triaged last week.
"""

Best,

Alex