[llvm-dev] A problem with register allocator

John Brawn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 17 10:11:47 PDT 2017

This is called rematerialization, and the register allocator can already do it but there are various constraints.
For it happen:
* The instruction needs to be marked as isReMaterializable in the tablegen file
* TargetInstrInfo::isTriviallyReMaterializable needs to return true for the instruction
* InlineSpiller and LiveRangeEdit in lib/Codegen are the things that actually do the rematerialization, and it
    may be worthwhile looking there
* The base register of the load needs to be guaranteed to be live at the place where it is rematerialized, e.g.
    in lib/Target/ARM/ARMInstrThumb.td the tLDRpci instruction is rematerializable because the base in the
    pc register which is always available, but loads in general aren’t.

John