[llvm-dev] Relicensing: Revised Developer Policy

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 7 23:53:16 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:48 PM Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 7 August 2017 at 16:53, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > When all of the code in the project has been converted to the new
> license or
> > removed, we will drop the requirement to contribute under the legacy
> > license.
> > This will achieve the goal of having
> > a single standardized license for the entire codebase.
> >
> > If you are a prior contributor to LLVM and have not done so already,
> please
> > do
> > *TODO* to allow us to use your code. *Add a link to a separate page here,
> > which
> > is probably a click through web form or something like that.  Details to
> be
> > determined later*.
>
> Although the LLVM project and LLVM Foundation obviously can't give
> legal advice, this page probably needs to be a little more than just a
> web form. There is a wide variance in the level of understanding of
> copyright and licensing issues across the developer community, even
> open source contributors. As such, I think LLVM would benefit from
> highlighting the sort of things contributors should be sure of before
> submitting their permission, to ensure they have the authority to do
> so. One scenario would be work-for-hire where permission was granted
> to submit the code upstream, but copyright may still be held by the
> client.

When we get to this point, we'll definitely be working with the lawyer for
the Foundation to make sure we get the legal things worked out correctly. I
think this TODO is just essentially a note for others that "something"
vetted by our lawyer will go here, not trying to forecast exactly what it
will be.