[llvm-dev] Relicensing: Revised Developer Policy

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 7 23:48:26 PDT 2017

On 7 August 2017 at 16:53, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> When all of the code in the project has been converted to the new license or
> removed, we will drop the requirement to contribute under the legacy
> license.
> This will achieve the goal of having
> a single standardized license for the entire codebase.
>
> If you are a prior contributor to LLVM and have not done so already, please
> do
> *TODO* to allow us to use your code. *Add a link to a separate page here,
> which
> is probably a click through web form or something like that.  Details to be
> determined later*.

Although the LLVM project and LLVM Foundation obviously can't give
legal advice, this page probably needs to be a little more than just a
web form. There is a wide variance in the level of understanding of
copyright and licensing issues across the developer community, even
open source contributors. As such, I think LLVM would benefit from
highlighting the sort of things contributors should be sure of before
submitting their permission, to ensure they have the authority to do
so. One scenario would be work-for-hire where permission was granted
to submit the code upstream, but copyright may still be held by the
client.

I'm really glad to see this re-licensing effort continuing to move
forwards. Thanks to everyone who has been working on it.

Best,

Alex