[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] FE_INEXACT being set for an exact conversion from float to unsigned long long

Michael Clark via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 20 16:02:01 PDT 2017

> On 21 Apr 2017, at 8:50 AM, Kaylor, Andrew <andrew.kaylor at intel.com> wrote:
>
> > This seems like it was done for perf reason (mispredict). Conditional-to-cmov transformation should keep
> > from introducing additional observable side-effects, and it's clear that whatever did this did not account
> > for floating point exception.
>
> That’s a very reasonable statement, but I’m not sure it corresponds to the way we have typically approached this sort of problem. <>
Just out of interest, I ran the two code sequences (branch vs predicate logic) through Intel Architecture Code Analyzer:

- https://gist.github.com/michaeljclark/84f9e411ab959073996e10bff6ab8ec0 <https://gist.github.com/michaeljclark/84f9e411ab959073996e10bff6ab8ec0>

I am not sure how accurate the cycle estimate is for the GCC code sequence as it says “possibly". It would appear that if the branch is predicted in a loop of floating point values that are < LLONG_MAX then GCC would win. Some values > LLONG_MAX and some <= LLONG_MAX would fool the branch predictor.

> In particular, there has been a de facto standard practice (and it has even been openly stated and agreed upon once or twice) of assuming default rounding mode and ignoring FP exceptions in the default (and currently only) optimization path for FP-related instructions.  That is, clang/LLVM didn’t just not support FENV_ACCESS by indifference but rather we have made conscious decisions to allow transformations that violate the needs of FENV_ACCESS when doing so can improve the performance of generated code.  Basically, we more or less pretend that floating point status bits don’t exist (at least before you get to the target-specific backend).

It is a shame as Clang/LLVM does surprisingly well at honouring floating point accrued exceptions on x86_64 as is (see below).

As far as I can tell, besides the eager constant folding optimisation, the only issues I am facing is with the float to u64 and double to u64 intrinsics.

I have expressed the RISC-V floating point ISA in a C notation, which I use to build a RISC-V ISA simulator, and the floating point accrued exceptions are tested for the complete set of RISC-V FPU operations. I’ve been using the RISC-V ISA test suite essentially to test gcc and clang floating point accrued exception state and the test suite has relatively complete accrued exception state tests after any floating point operations that update the accrued exception state. Clang does very well, with the exception of float to u64 and double to u64. They are currently the only two operations that fail the RISC-V QEMU tests, which is essentially testing all of the compiler floating point intrinsics.

https://github.com/michaeljclark/riscv-meta/blob/ea306062bfd2f60a229daf6b04826cdeb2dfbe9d/meta/opcode-pseudocode-c#L132-L204 <https://github.com/michaeljclark/riscv-meta/blob/ea306062bfd2f60a229daf6b04826cdeb2dfbe9d/meta/opcode-pseudocode-c#L132-L204>

These are the tests that I am using to exercise clang and gcc FENV_ACCESS along with the C code in the link above. riscv-qemu-tests is a user-mode port of the RISC-V ISA conformance test suite.

- https://github.com/arsv/riscv-qemu-tests/tree/master/rv64f <https://github.com/arsv/riscv-qemu-tests/tree/master/rv64f>
- https://github.com/arsv/riscv-qemu-tests/tree/master/rv64d <https://github.com/arsv/riscv-qemu-tests/tree/master/rv64d>

The tests are not exhaustive. There are some special cases with rounding modes that are not tested and the code is isolated from certain optimisations and is essentially testing just the intrinsics. That said, it makes sense for the intrinsics to correctly set the floating point accrued exception state to allow any more complete handling of optimisation around floating point operations.

In any case I need these conversions to work on compilers today so I came up with this work-around:

- https://godbolt.org/g/Ez8RZA

With the workaround above I am able to pass all of the RISC-V tests, however I know of some corner cases that are not tested. Interestingly float and double to unsigned need to round or clamp negative values to zero. I guess this is undefined behaviour in C.