[llvm-dev] Use def chain for static data dependency

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 16 07:04:43 PDT 2016

On 9/15/16 11:55 AM, qamar ilyas via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new in this group. I have a basic question. Can use-def chain be
> used for static data dependency?. Any help regarding this is greatly
> appreciated.

The def-use chains explicit in the LLVM IR can be used to detect data
dependencies on data that is always held in SSA virtual registers.

If you want to analyze the data-flow through memory (e.g., through
memory allocated by the alloca instruction or a call to the heap
allocator), then you need to use iterative data-flow analysis and alias
analysis.  For example, if a value is the result of an LLVM load
instruction, you must use iterative data-flow analysis to determine
properties of the value(s) that were stored to that memory location.

Regards,

John Criswell

> Thanks,
> Qamar

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell