[llvm-dev] memory access after optimization

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 7 06:18:56 PDT 2016

You need to say what kind of code representation you are talking about.

LLVM IR always uses pure loads and stores to or from virtual (unlimited)
registers.

Code generated for RISC architectures such as ARM or PowerPC always uses
pure loads and stores, as that is all they have.

Code generated for CISC architectures such as x86 combines loads and stores
with arithmetic instructions when appropriate.